Sunday 21 June 2015

Update from Lauren tonight (Sun 21/06/2015)

UPDATE: sooo drug looks like it will be here Tuesday or Wednesday now simply because of customs/paperwork/education etc. but I have been assured it's definitely on its way as it now has its own tracking number and is somewhere between the UK and Sydney as we speak. So really it's just been a bit of a waiting game over the past few days.

Was able to get out and enjoy some hospital day leave this past weekend where I went to the beach and enjoyed the sunshine plus ate waaaayy too much food at Kublai Khan (thanks steroids) and just pottered around home and helped gram do some cooking. Technically I am well enough at this point to be discharged except because they want me admitted for when the drug comes they figured it's best to keep me in my room and I'm not complaining either. At the moment I'm in the room specifically given to youth cancer patients and it is seriously like a little mini penthouse hospital suite decked with flat screen telly, a couch, microwave and kettle and some sort of gaming device I got no idea how to use. But basically I do not mind staying in this room and I can see how in the future, somewhere in Australia, there's going to be a youth cancer centre set up somewhere where all the rooms are like this because it seriously makes life in hospital - especially as a 'young adult' - a lot easier!

As for my health, miraculously my leukaemic blasts have come down, which means the steroids are working wonders and holding me in good stead while we wait for the drug. My doctor was very surprised when she told me this so I'll take it while I can. And bloody hell, those steroids have helped turned me into a food crazed chipmunk faced demon haha an experience and feeling I'll never quite be able to explain with words alone - only 3 packets of cheese and bacon shapes plus 2 cheese and tomato toasties and 2 packets of bacon later can explain fully. And whaddyaknow I'm now thinking about food again.

So before I take myself over to the fridge for a late night snack I just want to mention again how incredible the support and love has been and how grateful I am to have such wonderful friends and support networks in my life - if it wasn't for the continuous support I hear and see everyday I would definitely not be in the strong headspace I am in right now - knowing people are with me and beside me and believe in me is a truly wonderful thing and I thank everyone of you for being part of my journey so whole heartedly and openly. I couldn't do it without you guys so again - especially within the last two weeks, thank you for still believing and being there for me - it does mean the world and I'm so grateful!! So thank you! I know we have a long road yet and the first step is this drug but we will get there one tiny step at a time. Going to make it my mission to ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬. Just got to fuck it from myself first...... now what was in that fridge.....

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear you so positive Lauren! (Even gives me a boost.) Looking forward to more good news.
    Thinking of you. Best wishes. Elliot

    ReplyDelete