Tuesday 12 August 2008

Update #38. Day +12 Engraftment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say Hi to you all

WOW what a day today, Doctors walked in this morning and said we have some great news, “Lauren you have definitely engrafted !!!! which means the donor cells are now working." Lauren just burst into tears and then so did I - Oh my gosh those were happy tears mixed with so much emotion of this huge journey !!!!! We still have some hurdles in front of us but I feel like we are on top of that mountain, at the peak!!!! I wish I could explain this to you all, to know what this feels like is unbelievable, I just keep crying all the time. Think I need some retail therapy this arvo !!!!!!!

As many of you know I really struggled last week with seeing Lauren so sick. I have never seen someone so sick and weak before, and not being able to do much about it was really hard. Doctors said she will start to feel better as cells come in and that has definitely happened, still very weak but a little more alert and able to have a few sips of drink, Gets on her computer for awhile but gets too tired. One of the hurdles we now have to watch out for is the Graft Vs Host disease, the Doctors want to see some of this but not too much, so looking everyday for strange rashes and checking liver, gut function as it can affect the liver, so keep those prayers up, we are not out of the woods yet.

Girls - any suggestions for good hand cream? Have been using Hemp Cream from Bodyshop but these alcohol wipes etc are taking their toll – can’t afford for hands to get cracked as that can be infection risk for Lauren, so trying to use gloves as much as I can.

John (friend and hairdresser) hope you are reading this – please order in the industrial strength colour for my hair when I get back, the grey hairs are taking over!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all those prayers, positive thoughts and love you are sending – feel them all the time.

Missing everyone

Love Julie

Hb 85
WBC 21.21
PLT 36
N 12.7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!(>0.5 for for third consecutive day = engraftment)