Thursday 16 July 2015

Feeling like I'm Home Sweet Home - by Lauren

I AM FINALLY HOME! The doctors are happy with how everything is going and how my body is dealing with everything so today I finally got discharged from hospital! Will be going in as an outpatient to receive IZOTUZUMAB from now on. Feels amazing to be home and I just can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight and hopefully in the coming nights hear some rain on the roof!! And no more hospital food - and yes more bacon (wink emoticon)

Anyway, for those who want to know more about the results of the bone marrow biopsy; unfortunately because I have had so many biopsies in the past most of what they extracted is just scar tissue (fibrosis they call it) so they don't know exactly how well the drug is working at all. Although, they did say that the leukaemia blast count was obviously lower than what they started with and that is what we are starting to see in my blood tests - yesterday they couldn't even put a figure on how many blasts were in my blood because there was only 1! Today it's gone back up to 2% so here's hoping the final two doses of IZOTUZUMAB in the next two weeks just smashes those pesky shits out of my system and puts me into full remission! And then if that happens the plan is 3 weeks for my liver to take a break from everything and then straight into transplant and then hopefully living a healthy life cancer free!

However, If for some horrible reason the drug doesn't get me into full remission or the leukaemia comes back within those 3 weeks I have to wait to give my liver a break, my doctor is looking into what's called Carr t-cell therapy. It's only available in America at the moment but has has had really great results for people like me who keep on relapsing with my type of leukaemia (T-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia)! Basically in a nutshell they take my immune system cells (t-cells in particular) and genetically modify them with special drugs to recognise the leukaemia and therefore kill any and not let any grow in the first place. And even though I'm am hoping I will not need this option it's good to know there's still options there just incase.

But for the meantime it looks like IZOTUZUMAB is working it's sweet fuck leukaemia magic - lets just hope it's got enough fuck leukaemia gusto in the last two doses for full remission and to last 3 weeks afterwards!!! Yep you got it, I need a yoga instructor who can teach me how to criss, cross and contort my whole body cause believe me I'm trying to cross everything at the moment!! ‪#‎FUCKLEUKAEMIA‬ ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬

No comments:

Post a Comment