Thursday 31 December 2015

Lauren's FB post to close off 2015

LAST UPDATE 2015: So before this year is over I thought I'd just update everyone on what has happened and what is going to happen in the new year.

Basically as far as I know my T-cells that were harvested a couple of months ago in Melbourne through the Apheresis procedure I talked about are currently in the American Novartis lab right now as we speak and have begun the genetically modified process where those cells will be able to recognise leukaemia cells and therefore hopefully be able to kill them off. I'm also aware that now that this process has taken place they are starting to try to reproduce enough of these cells ready for a 'mini' transplant in January.

In the past month I have also received another dose of Inotuzumab in order to reduce my leukaemic blast count in my bone marrow a little so the success of this 'mini' transplant has its best chance of working. I have also received a little bit of radiation treatment on a lymphnode that was causing me some nerve pain down near my sacrum region and had some fatigue and bowel troubles with that but all in all everything at the moment is going well and good. Had a bone marrow biopsy last Tuesday to make sure the Inotuzumab has worked and will find out results from that next week.

As for next year, I will need to have another trip up to Melbourne on the 11th Jan for some routine physical examinations to make sure liver/kidney/heart etc are all working as well as they can. Then on the 20th Jan, Dad and myself will drive up to Melbourne again where I'll be admitted onto the ward on the 21st Jan for about a 4week stay for these genetically modified 'CAR T-cells' to be transplanted back into me. The first week consisting of some slight chemo to reduce any last leukaemic blast counts in the marrow and then it looks as though, if everything goes to plan, the the 28th/29th Jan will be the days that I receive the lifesaving genetically modified cells back. Then it's just monitoring me as it looks like I'll be the first Australian to receive this particular form of treatment so obviously they're going to take extra precautions.

As for myself, as mentioned before, I have had some side affects from the radiation and steroids which hasn't made me feel great but all seems to be getting better now, especially as they want to get me off the steroids asap again!
It's been nice as I have family from Sydney and NT over at the moment so while I have been feeling good have been able to attend things like picnics/Boxing Day sales and yesterday went to the Biggest Rocking Horse at Gumeracha. Also plan to hug a Koala at George's Wildlife Park.

Also been nice to spend some quality time with Adelaide family as well with A little Christmas surprise at the Oaks Plaza Glenelg with Mum on Xmas night and BBQ dinners with old family friends who are moving interstate.
But all in all 2016 is looking hopeful - I'm just so ready for recovery! I'm so sick of being sick and letting that get in the way of things I want to do but at least I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel clearer! Just gotta get through this last bit.

Anyway, I hope everyone has an awesome evening tonight and enjoys whatever they are doing to bring in this new year in!!

‪#‎FUCKLEUKAEMIA‬ ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬ ‪#‎2016COMEATME‬

No comments:

Post a Comment