Sunday 30 August 2015

....an update, at last!!!

I haven't done any updates for a couple of weeks because Lauren was in hospital and things were trending to the tricky side.
It was a blood nose which took her back into hospital and a fever. Then she ended up with an infection - cellulitus which was looking bit tricky seeing she had no neutrophils (no immune resistance). This led to six brave volunteers being tested on a Sunday afternoon for matching A+ blood to do a white cell transfusion direct to Lauren the following week, if still required. The good news is:

a) we were inundated by A+ candidates who were made aware of our search (we had over 50 candidates in less than 24 hours!!!). My apologies if I didn't text, email or return everyone's call. I tried to make sure anyone who made contact, left voicemail messages etc received a response, but I got literally inundated with calls - all the for the right reasons!! Thank you to all for stepping up so quickly and putting their name on the list, knowing full well it would mean some inconvenience. The six were blood tested on a Sunday afternoon, a couple of weeks ago now (from memory)

b) The better news was that by Monday after that Sunday of testing, the treating Doctor made the call the white cell transfusion wouldn't be required because the antibiotics had finally kicked in and showed signs of stopping the spread of the cellulitus. So our brave 6 didn't need to go any further. Here's a photo of our brave 6 (one had already left before this photo was taken - some known to us and some complete strangers who heard of our need) - some amazing people out there!!! - THANK YOU to everyone who made contact.


Those same antibiotics (this became known in hindsight) gave Lauren a crook gut which carried on the full time she was in hospital, until she realised how it stopped when she did a home visit for dinner last Thursday and hadn't taken them. So much so, her gut cleared up immediately and she came home on Friday just gone. Her facebook update follows:

UPDATE: I'm finally home and have started my third cycle of izotuzumab last Thursday and will have another 2 doses over the next two Thursdays and then the following Thursday another bone marrow biopsy. Let's hope this time there's absolutely not one leukaemic cell to find. AlI this will be done as an outpatient at the RAH cancer day centre.
However, I got to admit it's getting hard now, especially during the past admission to hospital, to keep my head up - I just want to be better already and I'm getting frustrated with all these 'road blocks' I seem to keep hitting. And this feeling has been intensified with me finally being off the steroids (yes piggies you are finally safe from my bacon fettish) - that shit messes with your mind and emotions let me tell you. So no not the best week but I'm so thankful I'm home now... Hopefully that will help me get back in the right mindset. As for now it's just making sure I don't spike a temperature so I don't land myself back in the RAH so I'm staying away from people and shops and what not so that doesn't happen. ‪#‎FUCKLEUKAEMIA‬ ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬

She was well enough to drive my car yesterday while I attended the Leukaemia Foundation SA conference. Was a very professional event on treatments and much more, with great speakers - one a good support to Lauren and herself a previous Lymphoma sufferer - Chrissie Page. She did a great job speaking of her experience going through treatment. Well done Chrissie!!

....and unbelievable, we're on our way to 19,000 views!!! That was quick growth in numbers....who are you??

No comments:

Post a Comment