Wednesday 23 March 2016

Lauren's facebook post on Monday - last night in Melbourne! (Day +35 Mon)

Last Melb update and probably my last (and biggest) update for a good while:

I figured because this is my last night in Melbourne after receiving the Car T Cell treatment and getting the good news that it has worked so well that I should probably do an update.

Let me start by saying the people over here, from the doctors, nurses, physio, anaesthetists, social workers, psychologists, dietitians, surgeons to even the girls at the hospital salon and the staff and volunteers at Ronnie Mac House and the organisation Challenge have just been amazing and have made the last two months just so much more easier for me and my family. Your professionalism, support, care, empathy and friendship have been state of the art.

And to my medical team, whose names I won't put up here just incase, you truly are life savers. I've never experienced a team that works so well and quickly together and who have cared about all of my problems, regardless of whether they were cancer related, communicating with the right people to get those problems fixed asap. Your seriousness, passion, warm smiles, turning medical jumble into English plus your Scottish and French accents 😉 will be missed! I've never felt so confident in a medical team like yours and you did what it took to make me as comfortable as possible and made sure I had every chance possible that this treatment would work and continue to work. Thank you.

I hope when I come up again for follow-up appointments and what not I atleast bump into some of you!!
Even though I'm anxious to leave I'm so excited to be coming home! And even more excited now that I am officially cancer free!!

I still have a weak immune system and I'm still on crutches learning how to walk and gaining those walking muscles I lost so I won't be able to do some things for a while. I also will need regular platelet (the clotting cell in your blood) and haemoglobin (the cell that gives you energy by taking oxygen around your body) transfusions in the coming month or two as my body, especially my bone marrow, (if any of you have forgotten that's the pudgy bit in the middle of your hip bone where all your cells are created) still recovers and works out a way to live harmoniously with my new T cells. So don't get upset if I can't catch up with all of you straight away!! Still got to be really careful so I don't get an infection and jeopardise the treatment.

So for the Royal Adelaide Hospital team,
Watch out - I'm coming back, healthier and stronger than ever!! (Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll let you decide)

But even though I still have a while to go until I'm like all of you healthy people again - I have had the best outcome possible and I am so grateful to whatever it was in this world that put the pieces and timing in place for me to be able to receive this treatment and I have no doubt in my mind that it was because of all of the prayers, positive vibes and I guess the 20,000 cranes that has helped make this happen. I certainly would have gone insane without your support, especially the support of my family. Dad, Mum, Gram, Kate and Nathan - there is noooo way in this world I could have gotten through this so well without you. You guys are really the reason why I'm here, you've had to put up with all the shit that having to care for a cancer patient in and out of hospital brings and I will never be able to put into words how much more easier you've made this Journey and especially this Melb trip for me. I love you.

Oops I'm getting pushed off the stage cause the music started about a minute ago - sorry buuuuuut not sorry.
So, to finish off, with the biggest smile on my face, remembering all the friends you've taken from me, for all the innocent souls you will take in the future and for all the lucky survivors now and to come who will have to live with your horrible memories, thinking about the day where everyone will have the joy to say they have won, I say ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬!

1 comment: