Tuesday 24 November 2015

Lauren's update on facebook today

So last week as most of you probably saw I was up in Melbs to get the first step of the trial out of the way (harvesting my T-Cells).

Last Sunday, Dad and I drove up to Melbourne but went pass the Big Lobster (Kingston S.E, SA) and the Big Koala (Dadswell Bridge, VIC) on the way there as I have this weird little goal to see all the official big things in Australia and I heard 'Larry' the big lobster was going to be pulled down at the end of the year due to repair costs being ridiculously high so it's been a matter of I have to see him before he goes! Although I did read in the paper yesterday the state gov has stepped in to fund his repairs. Oh well, we took the opportunity while we had it! If you missed the photos have a quick squiz at my facebook page. (for those without access to Lauren's FB, see photos on previous posts on this blog).

So we get to Melbs safe and sound and we were fortunate enough that the Leukaemia Foundation over there had one of their apartments in Preston free. After a bit of trouble working out the carpark and lifts and the maze of rooms we finally got to our little room and I was in heaven cause the beds were so comfy!!

However Monday, Dad and I were up bright and early as I had to be admitted to the Royal Children's so I could get knocked out and have a bone marrow biopsy and that lovely vascath I talked about in my last update inserted. AND THEY MUST OF KEPT MY UNDIES ON when they inserted it because after I came too (because of the smell of a Maccas Happy Meal Dad had kindly bought me), voila, I still had my undies!

The rest of Monday and Tuesday were like I said - lying around like a vegetable. You're not allowed to weight bear or move or pretty much do anything except for lie down and partially sit up when you have a vascath in. And yes that meant I had to pee lying down into a bed pan which yes was a new experience and I hope will be my last but if I ever have to again I'm buying one of those attachable chick dicks to make life easier.

But I was thoroughly entertained though because Melbs have huge TV/computer things in each room and they also have the Starlight Foundation Channel which basically plays kids movies 24/7. So streamed a bit of Netflix and watched cheaper by the dozen, despicable me etc. on the starlight channel. Also had an acting friend who has moved to Melbs to further her study come to visit and I can't deny but I loved catching up on those TBL family makeovers (wink emoticon)

Also found out on Tuesday that my bone marrow is only at 1.6% so we can't go ahead with step 2 of the trial but we could still go ahead with step 1 which was harvesting my T-cells (again for those who can't remember it's just a white cell/immune system cell).

So Wednesday consisted of me being connected to this machine that whizzed around at a certain speed to collect that particular cell. It's sort of like the gravitron for blood, the process is called Apheresis (I think that's how you spell it), And I'm the third person in Australia to have this particular cell harvested! And they got plenty of T Cells out of the collection!! Wooo!! So those cells will now be frozen and stored until I am able to proceed with step 2 and that will only happen when my bone marrow biopsy comes back with a leukaemia reading at 5%.

That night I was meant to have my lovely vascath out under midazalam (the truth/drunk syrup) BUT it didn't work. So I asked them to just pull the bloody thing out as I couldn't stand peeing lying down one more time and I wanted to change my undies! Ended up not being painful just a very weird and uncomfortable sensation.

Thursday, free from my vascath, they confirmed that enough cells were collected AAAND that Andy Lee from Hamish and Andy was in the building!! So I was able to go and meet him - the conversation starter being me shoving my phone into his face with the picture of him and Hamish with a crane and me being like 'remember this, that was for me!!!' Had a great time hanging out with him - he's so down to earth and veeeerrry good looking!! Shame he's got a girlfriend.

As I was free from the vascath now, I was also able to explore the hospital a bit more and found the patient garden where volunteers take the time out to give kids green thumb therapy which I think is awesome!! So I helped teach them how to make fairy pots out of a smashed up terracotta pot and loved doing so. My inner child just loves this place!

I also had an MRI later that night to check up on how my lymphnodes were doing as I've been experiencing some pain and discomfort with them recently. And just like the whole of this hospital, the MRI room is painted and decorated beautifully as an undersea themed room with these beautiful fish glowing out of the walls made out of fairy lights. It was so enchanting. I'll have to take a picture next time I have to have one.

The results from the MRI came back on Friday and all looked 'normal' as far as the doctor was concerned so they discharged me and then Dad and I drove home.

Will drive up again this Sunday as Monday I have another bone marrow biopsy to see if the leukaemia is at 5% or not and if it is will stay there the week having a number of pre-tests for the trial done. Otherwise, if below 5%, we'll probably drive back on the Tuesday/Wednesday.

So here's hoping my leukaemia has come back enough... (I still get chills when I say it)
‪#‎iloveyouleukaemia‬.................................................................................................................Only so I can ‪#‎fuckyou‬ and ‪#‎FUCKCANCER‬

No comments:

Post a Comment